Brain tired from a full work week, so here’s a quickie post of five things I dig and why
- Robert E. Howard:I loved the biopic THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD, based on his life and friendship with Novalyn Price. Howard’s wild, tragic and powerful life has rivitted me as much as his fiction. If you haven’t, check out BLOOD AND THUNDER, Mark Finn’s wonderful and short bio of Howard and perhaps the best one out there. His is a career I keep coming back to to find inspiration and, perhaps, a warning about the jaws of the black dog that can grip a writer’s life. Man, what awesome stuff would he have written if he’d not succumbed to his demons.
- Short Stories: I know, I know, the market is dead, no one reads them, oh the horror, the horror! Truth is, my first love of writing is short stories and reading them brings me great joy. If you don’t like ’em, your loss, pilgrim.
- Brunch: I hate lunch. No, seriously. HATE IT. Oh, I like going out for lunch just fine, but it’s the one meal I hate to make more than any other. So, naturally, brunch is awesome. It’s breakfast invading lunch! There’s coffee, and bacon, and fruit and pancakes, and you get to sleep in! What’s not to love?
- Meatloaf: I’ve been the chief cook at home for about two years now. And I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that my meatloaf kicks ass. ‘Nuff said.
- Ed Brubaker comics: I got hooked on CRIMINAL, but I loved his run on the revamped IRON FIST. INCOGNITO is also stellar. Have not read his regular super hero stuff, but these revamped and originals are some of the best comics out there.
Alright, that’s it from Ridlerville for this week. Tune in next time where I hope to share some good news that is COSMIC TOP SECRET. Is it about DEATH MATCH? Is it about a short fiction collection? Is it about the hidden truth that pro wrestling is, in fact, real?