Inspired by this post by Nick Mamatas, here’s a fun list of 25 things people may not know about me:
- My mother was born in Latvia. We are the only two members of my immediate family who have been (or in my case, remain) immigrants.
- Every year on my birthday, for about a decade, I’d listen to The Replacements PLEASED TO MEET ME on cassette, usually while recovering from a five alarm hangover
- For about a year, I was a school bully. I had a major growth spurt that yanked away alot of flab. But I only picked on those who had made fun of me when I was the fat kid in class. I was the Robin Hood of the Husky Brigade!
- While I always wanted a Gibson Les Paul, I was converted to being an SG man. They are the sweetest guitars on earth.
- I’ve passed out in three films: LA CONFIDENTIAL, SEVEN, and the latest PIRATES OF THE BOX OFFICE flick.
- I am the only person on earth who both enjoyed SEASON OF THE WITCH and despised Tim Burton’s atrocious ALICE IN WONDERLAND.
- One of my favorite books is Herman Hesse’s Steppenwolfe, though I’ve only managed to finish it once.
- When I was getting ready to receive my MA at graduation, a naval colleague asked me if I’d ever do a Ph.D. My answer? “No fucking way.”
- I still think Gary Braunbeck is one of the finest short story artists working today.
- I knew wrestling was fake before most of my young friends, but pretended it was real because it was more fun to believe in it!
- I used to serve media mogul and ex-con Lord Conrad Black when he frequented Lichtman’s News and Books. He was always nice to me (after he found out I was studying history), but stank of cigarettes drowned in aftershave.
- I have been to the Tower of London and fed the fat crows.
- The best writing books I’ve read have been by John Gardner, David Morrell, Nancy Kress, Richard Rhodes, Bruce Holland Rodgers, mainly because they contradict each other or don’t repeat the same damn stuff.
- One of my best friends was in the first X-Men film, during the early scenes were Wolverine is fighting in a cage match. As such, we always referred to the flick as X-MEN: STARRING JAMES WALLACE AS THUG #4!
- I lived in a seven by twelve foot storage space in a house for just under two years.
- The last wrestling match I saw live was Hulk Hogan and Bam Bam Bigalow vs. Ted Debiase and Virgil, at Maple Leafe Gardens. Both Bam Bam and the Gardens are no longer with us. RIP
- The best concert I’ve ever see? The Replacements at the Concert Hall (with the Goo Goo Dolls as the opening act!).
- The worst concert I’ve ever seen? Too many no-name punk rock acts in the Toronto indie scene to mention, but Jaberwocky, opening for my band at the Silver Shack, took the cake for annoying, loud mouth, zero talent suburban pretenders. And Fuel was pretty terrible, too.
- I once guest hosted a radio show at CKLN from 3-7 am, alongside the regular DJ. Played lots of Dinosaur Jr.
- I got my sisters and one boyfriend hooked on playing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Role Playing Game. That may be the most uncool sentence in the universe.
- The first concert I ever played, at the Edelweiss Beer Hall, I was so terrified I pretended to sing instead of actually singing, then claimed the mike was busted.
- I have been paid in beer, books, and pizza for my efforts
- For ten years, I’ve taught soldiers military history (whether they liked it or not)
- I once put out a fire at a cemetery
- I have been thrown out of two bars, and once from Radio Shack. No, these facts are not related.
So, time for some ‘Mats, live from a lame awards show, where they tear the sucker down.